Monday, August 26, 2013

The seasons change...



About 6 months ago I started on an adventure into songwriting. I was just coming off of a studio EP release, pushing it to radio and media outlets and while that was a big focus, I didn’t want to lose sight of the importance of actually writing songs as a songwriter. After all, you wouldn’t call yourself a watch maker if you didn’t make watches, or a fisherman if you didn’t fish, right? I decided to steal (ok, borrow) an idea from a musical comrade named Marc Pinansky (http://marcpinansky.bandcamp.com/). That idea was to write, record, and release a new EP for each and every month in 2013. 

While the first 6 months of this were extremely fruitful in the way of songwriting, keeping up with the recording aspect proved difficult for me. I could keep a scrap of paper in my pocket and write down ideas all day. I could get home from work and pick up my guitar or mandolin and flesh out an idea for melodies or a full song. But I tend to be entirely too critical of takes to record songs in a timely manner without external input/assistance (at least that I am content with).

All in all, I ended up writing more new songs per month than the number I could reasonably record, mix, and release. On average, I recorded about 3 tunes while I was writing around 6-8, plus additional ideas and pieces for other arrangements. I now have pages and pages of notebooks filled with ideas, half finished ideas recorded on my phone from dipping into a stairwell at the office, and enough material I am happy with to move onto the next step. I think I have accomplished what I set out to do in keeping the songwriting bug alive and moving forward to continue writing consistently.

Starting in October I will begin to work on a new full length record. Some songs have been picked out, not all, not all of the arrangements are put together, but that is what is exciting to me. Even more so, I will be having a slew of my best musical buddies involved in the process. So far I have enlisted the help of my good friends Mark Whitaker on banjo, Eva Walsh on fiddle, and Noel Coakley adding some pedal steel and I am sure that list will grow as the songs are arranged. This record will be recorded at home as autumn transitions into winter and subsequently mixed and mastered elsewhere. The end result, will hopefully be my first full length recording with a mix of all the influences I have absorbed over the past 7 years being a musician in this town. The countless gigs, sessions, and just hanging with wonderful folks. I am really happy to see what comes of this all…hope you guys will be as excited to hear what I have to say!

Keep on keepin’ on,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment